Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Chilly, windy days provide perfect opportunity for a cup of organic cocoa


When I drink cocoa, my first thought is usually, I am freezing and the weather is grey and I need something to warm me up. But I had never really thought about how the cocoa bean has to be picked and processed by farmers and workers before it reaches the store and eventually my mug. Last year, I learned about Equal Exchange, a company that sells organic coffees and cocoas. Equal Exchange's cocoa originates in the Dominican Republic, Peru, and Paraguay. It is 100 percent fairly traded. It's a little pricey, but it's important to remember there is a human element in food production and that workers have to earn a reasonable profit from their work, as well. The cocoa is also vegan, and doesn't contain milk for those who are lactose intolerant. You can see what kinds of products Equal Exchange has, here. I know they also sell organic hot cocoa at Safeway in Pullman. So grab a mug, a snuggly blanket and drink sustainably.

P.S. There is a fair-trade sale coming up this weekend in town. I'll post the details soon.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment